Re: GDPR - we think we're ready, let me know of any issues

David A. Wheeler

I just realized that I should also add a weird special case: Temporarily-retained backups of logs or databases, which can make our theoretical maximum retention time 18 months (1.5 years).  Here’s the issue. We don’t normally do this, but it’s *possible* to make backup copies of logs, and we occasionally make copies of databases.  In all cases, the purpose is to detect defects and/or attacks – we don’t analyze individual user behavior (unless you consider “attacking our site” a valid user behavior).  We don’t retain this information for more than 6 months beyond its normal expiration (and that’d be an unusual case).  Of course, errors can happen, but that’s what we are actively trying to do.  So in an *outside* case, deleted private data can stick around internally for 18 months.  It’s not likely, but it’s *possible*.

Overall, I think we have a good story regarding privacy.  We do not share personal data with any third parties.  We do not have advertisements of any kind.  We do not process payments of any kind.  We do not use external tracking tools like Google Analytics.  We self-host our JavaScript, fonts, and images, so users do not trigger downloads from external third-party sites when they request our web pages.  We also set our cookies to “SameSite lax” which further mitigates the risk of cross-origin information leakage to third parties.  We do not allow users to set up loading of external images in the markup text that they provide (images are a common way to insert trackers). As a result, we believe there is no opportunity for a third party to track users (such as by using “third party cookies”), because we don’t load them.  We do use a cloud service (Heroku/Amazon) and content delivery network (CDN) (Fastly) to implement the site, but they simply provide the computation and network delivery service.

The BadgeApp front page does have hypertext links to well-known social media sites (including Twitter, Reddit, and Facebook).  However, these links are carefully designed so that viewing the BadgeApp front page does not notify the external sites that the user is viewing the BadgeApp front page, and the BadgeApp never shares personal data with those other sites.  Users must expressly click on those links to go to those other sites, and even in those cases we simply transfer generic information about the badging site; we do not provide any personal information about the user to those external sites.

I think we meet the other requirements too.  We don’t store a lot of private information about users, and it isn’t THAT sensitive - their email address is the most sensitive we get (which is not in the “most sensitive” category).  Users can see what we store, and can delete that information, whenever they want to.

Again, I’m not a lawyer, but I *think* we’re okay.  Of course, if someone sees a problem, PLEASE let us know.  We *want* to give everyone privacy.

--- David A. Wheeler