Re: Improvement coming: Tiered percentage display in BadgeApp projects display

Georg Link

That makes sense. How about displaying the percentage and clarifying what it means in a mouse-over tooltip?

Georg

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Wheeler, David A <dwheeler@...> wrote:

We certainly *could* display them that way, but there’s a lack of horizontal space.  The projects table is already really wide.  Besides, if you just want to see in progress/passing/silver/gold, we *also* show the badge icon (which does the same thing).

--- David A. Wheeler

From: Georg Link [mailto:linkgeorg@...]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:45 AM
To: Wheeler, David A
Cc: Daniel Stenberg; cii-badges@lists.coreinfrastructure.org
Subject: Re: [CII-badges] Improvement coming: Tiered percentage display in BadgeApp projects display

The percentages as proposed are logical.

Could we, instead of going above 100% (more than the whole), display current level plus percentage of next level?

Here are examples with interpretation:

* 95% (= 5% away from passing)

* passing + 80% (= 20% away from silver)

* silver + 30% (= 70% away from gold)

* gold (= achieved mastery)

In the background, we could still filter and sort based on the percentages that exceed the whole.

Georg

Daniel Stenberg [mailto:daniel@...]:
> But if Zephyr is *also* at the same time 93% of the gold criteria it will
> still only show 193%, right? That might not be as intuitive...
> I'm not objecting, just clarifying I guess.

You're absolutely correct, but I think it's okay.

It's theoretically *possible* for a project to have a higher percentage in gold than in silver, but it's very unlikely.  The gold criteria are generally harder than silver, and the silver criteria are harder than passing.  In addition, there's overlap (some "SUGGESTED" or "SHOULD" at lower levels become "MUST" at higher levels).

In addition, to get a higher-level badge you must meet the lower-level badge criteria, so this "capping" maps well to final badges.  For example, a "193%" correctly suggests that the project is very, very close to earning silver (200%).  A more general "average" could muddle things.

Of course, getting a *passing* badge is a significant achievement, and we don't want to take away from that.  We just want to make it easier for people to quickly get more information than they could before.

Join CII-badges@lists.coreinfrastructure.org to automatically receive all group messages.