BadgeApp website internationalization

David A. Wheeler

We’ve made a first step towards internationalizing the BadgeApp application on the “master” git branch.

We have a volunteer for zh (Chinese).  If anyone else would be willing to help localize, that’d be great… please let me know what locale.  There’s a start on ‘fr’ (French), if someone who *actually* knows French could help that’d be great (for example).

For supported locales, you can request seeing the locale just by adding the locale at the beginning of the path.  E.g., for “fr” (French):

  https://master.bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/fr

  https://master.bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/fr/login

Only a few pages support internationalization, only a few locales are allowed right now (en, fr, zh), and we don’t have *good* translations yet (there are a few stub “fr” pages provided by Google Translate).  We haven’t yet implemented, in particular, internationalizing the criteria text.  It’s all in progress.

This is only for *presenting* the BadgeApp text.  When people type in justifications, that’s a different story.  :-).  That said, it’s possible to write text that is easier for a machine to translate, and that may be the best recommendation.

--- David A. Wheeler

Dan Kohn

It may be worth considering this service, which is free for open source projects, if we invest further in i18n.

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>

David A. Wheeler

Dan Kohn:
It may be worth considering this service, which is free for open source projects, if we invest further in i18n.
https://translation.io/
Great idea. I've requested an account.

We've often considered internationalization before, but Nicko recently asked us to actually add internationalization.

Machine translation isn't great, but it has gotten better over the years. If we're going to support some locale X, I think it'd be useful to create machine translation as a first pass, include it in the distribution, and then have a human fix them over time. That gives us an incremental approach, and where it makes sense I prefer incremental approaches over a "big bang" approach ("big bang" approaches have the risk of never finishing).

--- David A. Wheeler

Mark Rader

David

You may also want to ask OWASP/ZAP what they use since they extensively internationalize.

Mark