Topics

Filling in implementation_languages

David A. Wheeler

We let people fill in a list of implementation languages for their project, and more recently we’ve been auto-filling that information on new projects if they host on GitHub.  However, that means that on many projects we don’t have the implementation languages identified, and a number of people want to know that or search for information that way.

So I plan to “fill in” the “implementation_languages” information for projects on GitHub that don’t already list it.  GitHub’s language-guessing skills are less than perfect, so I plan to add “(CII estimate)” after the list in these cases. E.g., a project #93 might list:

  JavaScript, Ruby (CII estimate)

If a project finds that our estimate is wrong, they can simply edit that information just like any other entry.  Nothing will change if the project already provides us that information.

Let me know soon if that’s a problem!

--- David A. Wheeler

Georg Link

+1
I think this is a good idea.

Could we 'stage' the change and send a notification email to the badge creators about the planned change to their entry?
The badge creators can then add the correct languages and prevent the change or if they are okay with it do nothing and we apply the change. I assume that no response is agreement or not caring.

I would want to avoid changing entries without notifying the badge creators first.

Best,
Georg

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 1:24 PM David A. Wheeler <dwheeler@...> wrote:

[...]

I normally avoid that also (unless there's falsehood/fraud). The problem is that this involves a *lot* of badge entries (exactly 1,170). Notifying that many people at once is a big effort, easily goes wrong, and could cause us to be identified as a spammer. We also don't want to bother people unnecessarily.

I think that adding "(CII estimate)" has the same effect - that text should make it adequately clear that this data is not from the project, instead, it's a "CII estimate".

--- David A. Wheeler

Georg Link

Thanks David,

I acknowledge the technical challenge of my idea and agree that personalized emails for every project may not be feasible.

How are badge creators usually notified of updates and changes to the badge webapp? Is there a mailing list? After making the change, we could send a generic information update and include a call to action to check their project badges and correct if necessary or remove the (CII estimate) qualifier.

Best,
Georg

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:14 PM Wheeler, David A <dwheeler@...> wrote:
Georg Link:
> Could we 'stage' the change and send a notification email to the badge creators about the planned change to their entry? The badge creators can then add the correct languages and prevent the change or if they are okay with it do nothing and we apply the change. I assume that no response is agreement or not caring.
> I would want to avoid changing entries without notifying the badge creators first.

I normally avoid that also (unless there's falsehood/fraud).  The problem is that this involves a *lot* of badge entries (exactly 1,170).  Notifying that many people at once is a big effort, easily goes wrong, and could cause us to be identified as a spammer.  We also don't want to bother people unnecessarily.

I think that adding "(CII estimate)" has the same effect - that text should make it adequately clear that this data is not from the project, instead, it's a "CII estimate".

--- David A. Wheeler

Georg Link

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 1:24 PM David A. Wheeler <dwheeler@...> wrote:

A number of people want to know that or search for information that way.

Out of curiosity:
How do we know how prevalent it is to use the badge app to lookup implementation languages?
What other information do we know are many people looking for?
Do we know what they are using this information for?

My curiosity is fueled by my CHAOSS engagement. I'm trying to understand what the most useful metrics are and how we can quantify this usefulness.

Thanks,
Georg

David A. Wheeler

Georg Link:

How are badge creators usually notified of updates and changes to the badge webapp? Is there a mailing list?
You're on it.  Here we are!!

We do *not* notify people about general badge-related things unless they've requested it.  We hope to scale up to many more OSS projects - maybe even most of them - and that just wouldn't make sense.  The world has enough spam problems already :-).

After making the change, we could send a generic information update and include a call to action to check their project badges and correct if necessary or remove the (CII estimate) qualifier.
We could, but again, that's a lot of notification, and I think 0.01% would care.

How do we know how prevalent it is to use the badge app to lookup implementation languages?
The R community has specifically requested it, so there are at least a few interested parties.

--- David A. Wheeler

Georg Link

TL;DR: I agree.

David Wheeler:
Georg Link:

> How are badge creators usually notified of updates and changes to the badge webapp? Is there a mailing list?

You're on it.  Here we are!!

We do *not* notify people about general badge-related things unless they've requested it.  We hope to scale up to many more OSS projects - maybe even most of them - and that just wouldn't make sense.  The world has enough spam problems already :-).

That's fair. Let's not add to the problem.

> After making the change, we could send a generic information update and include a call to action to check their project badges and correct if necessary or remove the (CII estimate) qualifier.

We could, but again, that's a lot of notification, and I think 0.01% would care.

Okay, sure thing. I err on over communicating and even at home I get pushback :)

> How do we know how prevalent it is to use the badge app to lookup implementation languages?

The R community has specifically requested it, so there are at least a few interested parties.

Great. Happy to see the R Community embracing the BadgeApp.

Best,
Georg